Saturday, May 14, 2011

Below the seas - Around Havelock

Corals at Sebastian hill
MV Mars
 The main purpose of my trip was to learn scuba diving. After half a day of theory and a lot of shallow water practice, on the third day was my first dive. The boat trip to the dive site was a really long one. After taking some time to adjust on the first dive, I was finally getting comfortable handling the scuba gear. The first dive was to a wreck (Inket wreck) of an inter-island cargo vessel which struck the bottom and sank. Saw a stonefish, and groupers but the main attraction were the huge propellers.The second dive was nearby at whitehouse rock with loads of corals and fish life.

Jellyfish
The next 2 dives on the following day were again on the same lines at MV Mars (a smaller fishing boat wreck) and the wall (one of my favorite dive-sites). Both these places had abundant fish life and the wall has a lot of variety. I did dive again at the wall on my night dive a day later and saw things completely different. Interesting sights were batfish at the wreck and crocodilefish and schools of giant trevally at the wall. On my night dive at the wall was a different experience. We saw siltfaced and giant puffers, clearfin lionfish and of course the plankton glowing in the dark. The night dive is a totally different experience following a small torchlight 18m undersea in complete darkness. Would like to do that again.

The next 2 dives were the starting of my advanced open water at Dixon's pinnacle. Lots of jellyfish, barracuda, shrimps, snappers and even a lobster were seen on the dive. Part of the dive was looking at colors underwater. With the water absorbing colors, a tomato looked like a potato there. Also had some fun when someone broke an egg at 30m below sea level. The yolk can be safely juggled under water. The depth however does affect the visibility and things look quite different.
Kuhl's Stingray

Wrapped up my course with a couple of dives at Johnny's gorge. A rock outcrop surrounded by sand all around, it supports a lot of activity. With stronger currents, these were much more tiring but did manage to see a giant moray eel, barracudas, bannerfish and a sea turtle. Couple of other divers even saw a shark but it was gone by the time we got there. Again one of my favorite dive sites.

Octopus
The final 2 dives, based on everyone else's opinion was at South Button island and nearby Sebastian hill. Since it was a fun dive, there were no skills to practice and this gave me about an hour at 17m in both places. Saw atleast 6 octopuses on both dives and a Kuhl's stingray on the first dive. Other wildlife at Sebastian hill included some pipefish, shrimps, sweetlips ad snappers. Also saw a siltface puffer on the first dive. Now with 11 dives done I would like to add more soon. As a final icing on the cake, on the way back from South Button, while lazing on the boat, we also saw dolphins swimming around the boat.

1 comment:

  1. Hi,

    I like your story of your diving. I'm planning for my PADI OWD and AOWD courses. I'm trying to decide between Havelock and Neil Island.

    There is only one diving center in Neil Island and according to them, the area is virtually unexplored. So very few people and clean beaches, seas.

    But Barefoot scuba is well established and Havelock is decent with well established dive sites.

    What is your opinion?

    Do you recommend the Night dive under my advanced certification? I've heard that people had problems handling that one.

    I hope to speak to you directly. Can you drop me your number at keshavram AT gmail DOT com

    ReplyDelete